The freshman from Inver Grove Heights finished third at the184-pound weight class in the Harper Open held Saturday, January 27 at Triton Community College in River Grove, Ill.
Moon advanced to the semifinal round with consecutive wins over Chandler Proszek of Joliet by 5-2 decision, Devante Ryans of Northland by fall, and Corey Perkins of Muskegon by 6-5 decision in overtime. Moon lost by 3-1 decision to Nick Sundberg of NCAA Division III University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in the semifinal round but concluded the tournament with a win by injury default over Miguel Leiva, unattached, in the third place match.
- Champ. Round 1 - Zach Moon (Rochester CC) won by decision over Chandler Proszek (Joliet Junior College ) (Dec 5-2)
- Champ. Round 2 - Zach Moon (Rochester CC) won by fall over Devante Ryans (Northland Community College) (Fall 2:47)
- Quarterfinal - Zach Moon (Rochester CC) won in tie breaker - 1 over Corey Perkins (Muskegon Community College) (TB-1 6-5)
- Semifinal - Nick Sundberg (University of Wisconsin Whitewater) won by decision over Zach Moon (Rochester CC) (Dec 3-1)
- 3rd Place Match - Zach Moon (Rochester CC) won by injury default over Miguel Leiva (Unattached) (Inj. 0:00)
COURTESY: MCAC SPORTS